Sunday, January 8, 2012

Turkey Chili & Brown Rice

In my quest for a cleaner diet while cleansing, I have been (trying) to eat less red meat, and cut out some of those bad carbs.
Today I whipped up a chili, made much like My Grandma Branham's chili. We did do it a smidge different. 
Here is what you need:
2 pounds Ground Turkey
Olive Oil
1 Bel Pepper
1 Onion
3 little sweet peppers (red, orange, yellow) I purchase these at Costco in a huge bag.  My kids eat them like apples.
1pkg of Williams Chili Seasoning - Original
2 cans of petite chopped or stewed tomatoes
2 small cans of tomato sauce
1 can dark red kidney's
1 can of chili beans (pinto's with chili seasoning)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Penzey's Spices - Chili 3000
1 jar of Wickles

Here's what we did.

Fry 2 pounds of Turkey in a little olive oil or chicken stock.
Add salt & pepper, and once its frying good, add a chopped green bell pepper, and chopped onion.Once the meat is completely cooked add your spices, and Williams Chili seasoning packet.   Make sure all of the meat has the chili stirred in very well.  Next add your beans,  tomatoes and tomato sauces.  Stir very well, Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.  Let the chili simmer on low.
While the chili is working and all the flavors are getting happy together, in your rice cooker place 2 cups of brown rice, with slivers of garlic and a drizzle of olive oil and 4 cups of water.  Start the rice cooker and lunch should be ready in about 30-40 minutes!

 We always serve Chili with pickles.  If you have been hanging around the Hungry Momma very long you know that by now.  However in July we were introduced to Wickles! OH MY GOODNESS DELICIOUS!
You must pick up a jar of these.  I love their story too.  A family giving away their pickles for Christmas gifts started receiving the empty jars back for refills - they have a whole line now!  I just love that!  Yay Wickles!  I will gladly pay more for these! 

When dishing up my bowl, I replace my usual cornbread with brown rice and my splurge of course was the cheese and the pickle.  If you are not cleansing then eat it and don't let yourself feel one bit bad!  This is a good lunch!


Eat up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You so much for stopping by! This Hungry Momma would love to hear from you!