Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Aunt Modine's Cornbread Dressing

This is the best stuffing/dressing I have ever eaten and Im not just saying that because it's my Great Aunt Modine's Recipe.  Every year I would look for her specific pot to know I was getting hers! Aunt Modine was a very shy woman and when Dad would go on and on about it she would pat him on the shoulder and move to another spot in the room! One year we finally got her to tell us how she did it!  It is simple and delicious!

Aunt Modine's Cornbread Dressing :

Bake one regular batch of Cornbread, and Crumble.  (by that, we do not mean Jiffy - as much as I love Jiffy with my chili - make the Aunt Jemimah recipe on the back of the pkg of cornmeal!)
Dry out 1/2 loaf of bread, and crumble. (I run all my bread through the food processor)
Saute 1/2 bunch of celery and an onion chopped, in a skillet with 5-6 slices of bacon.
Add all of this, including bacon drippings in large casserole or roasting pan, along with 2-3 teaspoons of sage, salt and pepper to taste.

Optional add in's are, Pecans, Water Chestnuts, Dried Cranberries, or Raisins.

Add Chicken broth til the consistency is like the consistency of cornbread batter. You can use canned broth or broth from boiling your own chicken (this will give you the best flavor).  Also you can add 3 chicken bullion cubes dissolved to add flavor as well.  Bake this until done in a moderate oven (350 - 375) for 1 hour or longer if needed.
When it is done, I sprinkle crunched up bacon all over the top!

1 comment:

  1. I am making this! sounds like what my mom makes (but she makes hers by "taste" & I cannot get it written down) - Shana

    ReplyDelete

Thank You so much for stopping by! This Hungry Momma would love to hear from you!