I enjoy using my Martha Stewart Enameled Cast Iron Chili pot to make this. Any good sized pot will work, but this is going to cook low and slow on the stove once you get it going... Here is what you will need:
1 round steak (I use a nice size and sometimes two depending on my crowd)
1 large can (20+ oz) of Crushed tomatoes (have an extra 14 oz can of crushed tomatoes on hand just in case your meat doesn't make much broth and you think you need more).
2 (14 oz) cans of italian style stewed tomatoes (or petite diced).
1 small can of tomato paste
3 Tablespoons of Sugar
1 tsp of italian seasoning
1 tsp of oregano
1 tsp of Basil
1 bay leaf
2 garlic cloves smashed and diced
2 - 3 Green Bell Peppers
Salt and Pepper
1. Slice your round steak on the diagonal into very thin strips.
2. Thinly slice your bell pepper into strips, and do a smash and dice on your garlic.
3. In your pot drizzle in olive oil - enough to just cover the bottom of the pot.
4. After piping hot put your meat in and season with salt and pepper.
5. Once the meat is just browned, add in your garlic and thinly sliced bell peppers.
Let this cook down just for a moment while you are opening all your cans.
6. Pour in all of the tomatoes and tomato paste, add in the seasonings, bay leaf and sugar. Stir this good. Do not drain the oil off of your meat - this will add to the flavor of your dish. If you feel like there needs to be more broth on this - add a little bit of beef broth. (However it will be thicker when you serve it because the slow cooking should reduce your sauce intensifying the flavor.)
Let this cook all day long on a low simmer. Stir Occasionally. The lower and slower the more delicious it is.
Serve this over a bed of rice! DELICIOUS!!!