Monday, December 6, 2010

Aunt Viki's Sweet Pickles

I have been meaning to post this for some time now.  This is my Aunt's recipe for the most amazing sweet pickle you have ever put in your mouth!  These are the pickles that I love to eat with Chili.  I know that pickles are a summer thing - but its always winter when Im craving them.  I am going to post this now while I am wishing I had a jar in my pantry to go with the Chili on my winter menu!

7 lbs Cucumbers
2 cups of pickling lime
1/2 gallon of vinegar
8 cups of sugar
1 Tablespoon of salt
1 Tablespoon of Cloves
1 Tablespoon of Celery Seed
1 Tablespoon of All Spice

Mix 2 cups of pickling lime with 2 gallons of water, pour over sliced cucumbers.  Soak 24 hours - stirring often.  Pour off, and Rinse the cucumbers VERY GOOD 4 or 5 times if necessary.  Let the cucumbers set in ice water for three hours.  Drain Well.
Mix Vinegar, Sugar, and Salt.  Pour over the cucumber slices and soak for 6-24 hours (longer for convenience).  Cook until transparent and only gently stir them.  Pour into jars and cap off.  As with any canning make sure that before you put the lids on,  the top of the rim is wiped off with a scalding hot cloth.  This will ensure that you have a great seal and that there isn't any pickle juice or sweet syrup hindering that! 
Once you place the rings on - give these jars a 10-15 minute hot water boil bath.   Your jars will seal as they cool and you will have pickles in the summer and the winter - depending on how quickly you eat them and if you share them! :) This recipe will make about 12 pints.
I say this is an AWESOME Christmas gift idea, because they are a labor of love, but not hard to do.  I received them in my stocking a few years ago and it was probably one of my favorite gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You so much for stopping by! This Hungry Momma would love to hear from you!